Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Biography

Hi everyone!! I'm new to the blogging world as this is my first time posting a blog as you can see. Well, let me go ahead and introduce myself. My name is Kevin Saephan and this is my third year attending California State University, East Bay which makes me a Junior. I am a undergraduate Business Administration major which I declared last summer. This field of work is pretty competitive at this school, but the competition is what drives me to be a better student and person which ultimately leads to good work ethic. Although I was born here in the states Oakland, California to be exact, my parents and grandparents were all born in their home country of Laos. They were basically forced out of their country by the Communist government which led them to San Francisco. Now you may think that because they were born and raised in Laos that they are of Laotian ethnicity. We are actually not Laos, but of Mien ethnicity. There's not too many of us in the world but there's a lot of us here in California because most of them immigrated to San Francisco. Due in part to my family's background and my fascination with History all together, I decided to take this course in order to expand my knowledge of history.

In this class, we are required to pick out a topic and write weekly blogs on it as the course goes on. I decided to go with Asian Americans immigration to the Bay Area. If I could be more specific and go with my own race of Mien people then I would, but I believe it would be very difficult to find past history about the Mien Race. I chose this topic because I'm very interested in Asian Americans immigrating to this country because of my family's past history. Although the perception is that people come to the United States for a better life, it's not always the case. I know of many people who miss their home country and the way they lived their lives there. In doing this research, I hope to find out many things that I never knew happened and share it to this class and readers in general. Now, if I am able to find out a good amount of research on the Mien people, then I'll incorporate that into my blog entries as well. Thank you all for reading my blog and feel free to give me comments or feedback!!

No comments:

Post a Comment